• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter FROZEN
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 heaping cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen~~do not thaw)
• coarse sugar for sprinkling on top before baking
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream or half & half
• 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. Grate the frozen butter. Toss grated butter into the flour mixture & combine it with a pastry blender, or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, egg & vanilla together. Drizzle over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best not to overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disk and cut into 8 equal wedges with a sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar. Separate scones so there is a little space between each one.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. To make the glaze, whisk all the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.
**Scones are best enjoyed right away, though leftover scones keep well at room temp. for and extra 2 days. They also freeze well, up to 3 months. (Thaw in refrigerator overnight and heat to your liking.)